CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 6, 2012

Balance: Cosmo or Businessweek

Today I discovered one of my favorite CDs from last summer. As I was cruising down the road with the windows down, sunglasses on, and sun warming my left arm, Colbie Caillat's "Dream Life, Life" came on:


Dear someoneHave you ever wanted outOf all the stressfulnessAll the businessYou could do withoutTake all of your worriesThrow them awayEveryday should be a fun dayThats what I say

All I want is a dream life lifeWith the ones I lovePlaying all day longLaying back by the water sideWith nowhere to goAnd the music onAll I want is my dream lifeTo be my real lifeHow could that be wrongAll we have is this lifeSo make it be what you wantAll I want is a dream life, lifeAll I want is a dream life, life

Dear summerWill you find your way back homeI miss your golden kissHow you warm my skinWhere did you go?Take all of my worriesAnd burn them upEveryday will be a fun dayUnlock my handcuffs

All I want is a dream life lifeWith the ones I lovePlaying all day longLaying back by the water sideWith no where to goAnd the music onAll I want is my dream lifeTo be my real lifeHow could that be wrongAll we have is this lifeSo make it be what we wantAll I want is a dream life, lifeAll I want is a dream life, life

No, I did not call in sick to work todayNo, I'm not out hanging with my friendsThere's no more wasting time on what I think I'm supposed to doMy clock is standing still so

I can have my dream life lifeWith the ones I lovePlaying all day longLaying back by the water sideWith nowhere to goAnd the music onI'm working hard for my dream lifeTo be my real lifeAnd that can't be wrongAll I have is this lifeSo I'm making it what I want
This song is genius. I'm on my last break in my undergraduate career. Easter's here, and everyone is excited to be done. We all want free time, summer--a dream-life life, as Colbie says. Yet, I'm struggling with that feeling of freedom other seniors are craving, because I am going to law school. I am continuing my education, and I am excited about that too.
Maybe it's just a mindset, it's a culture that says we are supposed to complain about work or school. We are supposed to "live for the weekend," right? The problem with that is that we never enjoy life. Life is all about the journey. It is the journey. It is a series of challenges, changes, of moments. Life is a series of accepting things we never thought we'd be old enough to face. That's my motto, but it doesn't have to be a negative thing.
What if we, as a society, balanced one extreme to "live life in the moment and not lose your life to work" with the other that says "your work determines your life, because it pays for the dreams you want"? I'm figuring out how to do that, I just wish there was a magazine that reflected my phase of life--it's not either Cosmo or Businessweek.

1 comments:

Jake said...

I struggle with this as well. I have recently found who I really want to be as a person and a member of society and I find myself wanting to do both simultaneously.

I think the best we can balance this is to just prioritize your interests to align with your goals. Figure out a mix of the two, a hybrid of the two perspectives.

I am trying to figure this out as well. It's sort of difficult to combine Video Games and career aspirations. =D