CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A "Logical" Mind? Really?

I was just looking at my blog (don't we all just look at our own pages and think about what could be better or changed?), and I read what I decided to title it. It hit me. "A logical and developing mind." Really? I'd say that I don't, as is common with most people, think in logical patterns.


Right now I'm taking Patterns of Reasoning, which is basically a logic class, and we've learned logical forms and what makes a logically sound argument (among other things). I definitely do not think in logical patterns, in fact, I'd venture to say that I think in rather illogical patterns. I'm not just saying that I do not usually think in the logic forms we use in class, but I'm wondering if it is at all possible to think logically.
Take this example:
I think about my life. I think about myself as a person--the inner-workings and motivations that make me do what I do-- and I think about how I think. Yet, in all of that contemplation, most of it is driven by who I want to be or the emotion of the situation I am in. Not that I see this at the time, but it is pretty evident looking back. I don't necessarily need to think about x-y-or-z, because I can rationalize whatever I bring to the table.

So, I wonder if other people must be driven by emotion too. I'm not talking about high school drama with overly emotional "OMG he's, like, totally being stupid." I'm talking about inner emotional desires like the being accepted, loved, feeling valuable and strong, and being self-sufficient.

The say that history is written by the victor, so do we reinterpret our pasts?
Do we create stories that got us here, like a little testimony to how far we've come, even if there's not much to tell? Or is it simply forgetfulness? Or are those stories real because their implications are real, regardless of the fact that they might not be totally correct? In believing or creating these stories, doing so do we lose or find ourselves?

Can a conclusion ever really be reached?

0 comments: